Thursday, June 12, 2014

Small Thing Extravaganza!

Do you love samples?  Me too!  Let's be best friends!  Now that our friendship status has been cemented, let's talk small stuff.  One of the best things about the Sephora Beauty Insider program is that you can earn points.  Said points add up and can then be redeemed for samples of high end products.  This pleases me.  Buying pretty things at Sephora and then getting free things are two of my favorite things.  I had the chance to use some of these samples, and these are my honest-to-goodness opinions on them.


Look at the tiny things!
 Now that I'm in my thirties, I am starting to notice the formation of fine lines at the corners of my eyes.  I absolutely do not lay in bed clutching my bed sheets in horror thinking about how the passage of time is showing up on my face.  If that's what you were thinking.  Anyway, I have tried eye creams in the past but I never found something I really liked.  They either burned my skin or were to greasy or too light.  I got to try the It's Potent! eye cream from Benefit, and I really like it.


I like products with exclamation points.
According to Sephora:
Your eyes can't keep a secret—they're the first to show signs of age and stress. It's Potent! Eye Cream fades dark circles and helps smooth the appearance of fine lines for brighter, younger-looking eyes. It contains a peptide complex known to help restore elasticity and firmness, along with a blend of hydrating botanical extracts and loquat extract, known to help protect the skin from free radical damage. 

At 34 bucks for 0.5 oz, it's not cheap, but it is also not as expensive as many other eye creams.  Plus you don't need to scoop out a bunch each time.  It left the skin around my eyes feeling really soft and hydrated.  There was no burning, and it didn't feel greasy or gross.  Did it fade dark circles?  Um....no.  I think that whole claim is a bunch of shinola, but I did like the overall feeling of the product.  Would I purchase the actual size?  Yes.  Yes, I would.

The next sample I'm featuring is Shiseido Ibuki Refining Moisturizer.  When I first got the sample, I was really excited.  Shiseido is a good brand, and I have liked their stuff in the past.  However, I was a little disappointed when I first tried it.  The consistency is very thin, almost liquidy, and the smell was a little off putting.  It didn't smell bad, but I wasn't a fan of the strong floral scent.

I smell like your Meemaw.
According to Sephora:
This refining moisturizer renews the appearance of the skin’s surface, creating an incredibly smooth, uniform texture, while keeping skin hydrated all day long. Red and gold soft reflecting powder particles give the complexion an instant luminosity for a healthy glow. 

I set it aside for a while before picking it up again.  Guess what?  It's great!  Even thought the consistency is thin, it's incredibly moisturizing.  I really loved how my skin felt.  And I stopped being bothered by the smell, although it is something to note if you are very sensitive to scent.  I did not notice any light reflecting particles so whatevs.  It's $45 for 2.5 oz.  That is pricey, and it doesn't have an SPF, so I wouldn't use it for day.  However if you want t treat yourself to a nice moisturizer, then I think this is worth a shot.  Would I buy the actual size?  Yes, if I had a little extra cash in my pocket.

The next moisturizer I have been using for a while is Amorepacific Future Response Age Defense Cream.  A few years back I tried one of their moisturizers and I loved it.  This one did not disappoint.  I have been keeping it in my traveling bag, and it has lasted me a long time.  The packaging is also sweet.

Ugh, so shiny.
The consistency is creamy, but it is so lightweight, it just melts into your skin.  I only need a little bit at a time.  According to Sephora:
This formula designed to protect against pollution and free radicals, while restoring and reducing skin inflammation for younger-looking, healthy skin. Environmental aggressors from the sun, pollution, and other sources can cause stress to our skin and add to the signs of aging. This formula provides daily antioxidant defense to keep skin looking its best. 

They say daily in this description but I wouldn't use it during the literal day.  It has no SPF, and that's super important y'all.  Ok, here is the bad news: It's $195.00 for 1.7 oz.  My heart hurts writing that.  I had no idea it was so expensive.  I would have made my little sample last much longer.  Now, Amorepacific is made in Korea, and you can get the brand on sites that sell Korean cosmetics.  Check this one.  The problem is that their products might not correspond to the ones sold in the US.  This is something that I have to look into further.  Would I buy the actual size?  I love this product, but unless I become real rich real soon, then the answer is no.

Finally, something for the body.  Now this sample is not from Sephora.  Sorry!  However, I think that you can just go ask for a sample, and that's free!  I'm talking about the Almond Milk Concentrate moisturizer from L'Occitane.  Guys, this stuff is legit.

It's all gone. :(
According to the website:
Enriched with powerful almond extracts, our Almond Milk Concentrate melts into the skin in a creamy and silky texture, to help skin look more smooth. 

Skin feels nourished and comfortable thanks to the association of almond milk and oil, which helps to moisturize and soften the skin. A new complex, associating walnut seed and almond extracts, makes skin seem smoothed and more beautiful. 


This sample was just a one time use for me.  I really wasn't expecting much to be honest.  When I put it on after my shower, I noticed how soft my skin felt.  It's a cream but it was very light.  The best part, though, was the smell.  When I was getting ready to get to bed, I kept catching a whiff of something delicious.  It was me!  This stuff put me in a heavenly cloud of awesomeness.  I think it's what unicorns smell like.  It was a slight scent of almond and something I can't put my finger on.  So not only was my skin soft, but I smelled soooooo good.  At $29.50 for 3.5 oz, it's not terrible.  I think this is a great birthday present.  Get it for someone you love.  Like me.  Would I purchase the actual size?  YES.

The extravaganza is over.  Sadsies.  However, my pursuit of all things sample is not.  Wherever there are small things to be tried, I will be there.  So should you.  Go out there and sample some shizz, and fall in love with some worthwhile products.

1 comment:

  1. I think I need that It's Potent eye cream. Is this the one you told me about that diminished your 11?

    ReplyDelete